An open house is an important event in the real estate market that enables you to welcome prospective buyers to your home and allow them to view it. An open house usually occurs on weekends, allowing potential buyers to take their time and visit your property.
Running an open house gives you an excellent opportunity to market your home in a unique way. Potential buyers often see an ad for an open house in the paper or online, and when you choose to hold an open house, they will have an opportunity to see your home.
Besides, it enables you to receive instant feedback about your house and find out the best and worst about your property. In today’s article, we will give you a checklist for running your next open house. That way, you can prepare yourself and sell your home for top dollar. Read on!
General Open House Checklist
- Maintain a comfortable environment
- Keep the blinds and curtains open
- Allow natural light to come into the house
- Open the windows for fresh air circulation
- Turn on lights in all rooms
- Have some indoor plants and flowers
- Put away items like jewelry and medicines
- Declutter your entryway and ensure it is welcoming
- Place a clean mat in the front door
- Clean all windows and mirrors
- Remove your personal hygiene products
- Put fresh soap out and hang clean towels
- Place a fresh tissue box and toilet paper
- Clean bathtubs, vanities, shower stalls, and mirrors
- Clean the sink and medicine cabinets
- Install new curtains in the shower area
- Disinfect the bathroom and remove mildew from walls
- Put on clean bedsheets and organize clothes in the closets
- Organize pillows, bedspreads, and toys (if any)
- Clean doors, floors, walls, shelves, and carpets
- Open all windows and hang blinds properly
- Clean the sink and remove all the dishes for organization
- Clean the windows and countertops
- Put away unnecessary utensils
- Clean the floors and organize the cabinets
Dining Room Checklist
- Set the dining room table
- Put linen and place decorative items
- Dust the chandelier and install new bulbs
- Clean the entire room, including the cabinets
Living Room Checklist
- Clean the floor and furniture items
- Vacuum the carpet
- Allow the natural light and fresh air to come in
- Adjust cushions and pillows on the couches
- Declutter the room or remove unnecessary items
- Organize bookshelves
Considerations for Running a Successful Open House
Experts recommend posting an open house on social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Place some ads in the newspaper or your website.
As a real estate agent, you should also be able to estimate closing costs to help potential buyers calculate expenses and payments. Moreover, prepare a table near the dining area or entryway for guests to sign in so you can grow your contact list.
Make sure you place a pen, buyer registry, and home display sheets. Make available the home blueprints, survey results, home inspection report, and home improvement form. You can also post directional signs for your open house in the neighborhood.
That way, the buyers will easily find your house. Post the open house sign in the front yard, and make sure you remove all the pets, garbage, and foul odors from your home. Preparing some snacks and beverages is a good seller gesture.
Review all safety procedures and make sure all potential buyers experience a pleasant experience.
An open house gives additional exposure to your home and shortens its time on the real estate market. The primary advantage of running an open house is getting multiple buyers all at once.
Open house viewing is an affordable method, especially if you want to save time. We understand that you don’t want to experience the frustration of responding to the same questions asked by buyers every day.
However, running an open house requires careful planning and preparation. The checklists given above can help you hold a successful open house. Good Luck!